Getting Started at Sukha Yoga
Welcome to our Sukha Yoga home!
It is common to feel intimidated if you have never taken a yoga class before. At Sukha Yoga, we strive to make your experience as easy and positive as possible. We offer 2 classes a week (Tuesday at 5:30 and Saturday at 9:30 AM) that are specifically designed for beginners. You will learn breathing techniques, basic postures and how to modify them when necessary. Once you have attended a beginner class a few times, it is encouraged that you try Hatha Flow classes. We also have a gentle (Yin) class on Thursdays at 5:30 pm and a Restorative class on Fridays at 4:30 and Sundays at 6:00 pm that is great for beginners. Vinyasa flow tends to be more rigorous, but is appropriate for beginner yogis who are physically fit.
- Come 15 minutes early to class to have time to check-in, talk to the teacher about any concerns or injuries, and set up your mat.
- Most people like to bring their own mat. Sukha offers mats to borrow. Mats are also available to buy in the studio. You may want to bring a towel and water bottle.
- Come to class on an empty stomach.
- Make sure you are well hydrated.
- Wear comfortable, workout clothing.
- Remove your shoes before entering the studio. Bring your valuables into the studio with you.
- Listen to your body. If something does not feel right, don’t do it. Use the modifications when necessary.
- Stay until the end of class. Shavasana (final relaxation pose) is the best part of class!
- In order to create a strong cohesiveness in class it is important to be on time and stay for the entire class. If you are late to class, wait until the initial meditation is over to enter the studio. If you have to leave early, leave before Shavasana as to not disturb the rest of the class.